I will be a guest on Cleveland’s FM radio station, 102.1 WDOK, tomorrow talking about why people have affairs. The topic is a spin-off of the recent Letterman debacle. If you are having an affair or have had an affair, here are the five reasons why:
1. You feel invisible in your current marriage or relationship. You feel invisible because:
a) you don’t feel listened to or validated
b) you feel alone and isolated – no quality time is being spent with your partner
c) you are suffering from skin hunger – no physical touch going on
d) no sexual intimacy
e) no words of affirmation
2. You want revenge because your mate had an affair and now you want to even the score.
3. You desperately want a divorce and think having an affair will speed up the process.
4. You feel trapped in your current situation and want excitement.
5. If you are a serial cheater, you may have a sexual addiction.
If you can relate to any of these or want to add to the list of reasons, I’d like to hear from you.