In the October 13th issue of The Sunday Times there appeared an article with some interesting findings around infidelity. Dr. Terence Yow, who conducted research on this topic, found that women are more likely to end a marriage after the discovery of a cheating partner than men. “Gender does make a difference when it comes to the divorce proneness,” says Yow. Below are some of the reasons men are less likely to end a marriage once an affair has been uncovered:
- Men tend to be more reliant on their wives and reluctant to start life over on their own.
- Many men are very emotionally attached to their wives.
- Many men want to save the marriage to keep the family together.
- Some men feel guilty for having had an affair themselves and think they may have sent their mates into the arms of another man.
- Some men don’t want to have to split their assets with their partner and can’t afford a divorce.
A lawyer at the law firm of RHTLaw TaylorWessing says, “Women are more concerned about feeling happy and appreciated in a marriage. And they no longer rely on men for money. So if their husbands cheat, they don’t have to put up with that nonsense and they are not afraid to end the marriage.”