Ever wonder how some couples’ marriages have stood the test of time?
A tips to long lasting relationship recent Time magazine article entitled, “How to Make a Relationship Last: 5 Secrets Backed By Research,” showed the results of studying 23 thousand couples and what made their relationships sustainable.
Below are the 5 secrets:
- Similarity doesn’t matter: Making sure you and your mate have the same interests doesn’t matter. What is important is that you both have the same way of dealing with emotions. For example, you both agree to taking a break if a conversation escalates or you agree that using sarcasm to hurt one another is a no go zone.
- Arguing is good: Verbally disagreeing in an adamant way is better than silent treatment, any day of the week!
- Know it’s going to take work: Thinking that Romeo and Juliet feeling is going to last forever is doing yourselves a disservice. Know you’ll need to have a plan and to work that plan.
- Have grit: Bring a level of stick-to-itiveness to your relationship, especially through the hard times. Lean in and stay with it.
- Glorify the struggle: Once you get through the hard time, remind yourselves of all you went through and that it lead to a positive place in your relationship.