Divorce can be brutal – emotionally, mentally, physically, and spiritually. Is it realistic to think you can remain friends with an ex-spouse after a divorce? Below are some tips on how to make it a possibility:
- If the chance that you’ll be friends is slim, then at least work at being friendly, especially if you have children together. Otherwise you are giving your kids a crash course in anger and resentment.
- Even though you probably won’t ever forget, give yourself the gift of forgiveness. You and your mate did the best you could with the information you had at the time. No one starts a marriage thinking, “How can I make myself and my mate miserable?”
- Let go of the past. Grinding it over and over will keep you from moving forward with your own life. And you deserve to have a life.
- Start with small acts of kindness. Call your ex back within a reasonable amount of time. Thank him or her for doing the same. Small common courtesies will go a long way to rebuild a civil bridge between you. Take the high road.
- Keep the big picture goal in mind. If you have kids, they are counting on you to show up as a grown up. If you don’t have kids, show up that way anyway. It will be the best gift you’ll give yourself through the whole ordeal.
To learn more about how to stay friendly and cordial with an ex, click here.