It’s the start of the new year and even though many people have an aversion, and maybe rightfully so, to resolutions, there is no denying we all want a fresh start on some level when the calendar flips to the new year. As a relationship coach, I have some plain and simple marriage and relationship advice to give to start 2014 with your spouse or partner. Drumroll please … here it is: be nice to your mate. That’s it! There’s no secret formula – it’s not complicated. But it is important. I think it’s so important, in fact, that I have a sign in our kitchen that says, “Because nice matters.”
Here are some ways to simply be nice to your mate this year:
- Smile at him or her at least twice a day just because.
- When your partner comes home, offer to hang up his or her coat once in awhile.
- Help your mate look for keys or eye glasses when he or she is struggling to locate them.
- Pick up your partner’s favorite snack at the grocery store now and then.
- Let your mate choose whatever movie or TV show he or she wants to watch.
- If you see your spouse or partner is having a difficult day, ask, “Is there anything I can do right now to make your life easier?”
We are often nice to strangers day in and day out, yet can sometimes forget to give the same courtesy to the most important person in our life. So if you’re going to adopt a resolution for 2014, be nice to your mate.