It’s a new year, and what better time than now to do something new to refreshen and strengthen your marriage or relationship. Sometimes it takes a new perspective, a new idea, or simply a new decision to give your marriage or relationship the kick start it needs. Below are 5 concrete ways to solidify the love between you and your mate in 2012:
- Do an inventory of other couples with whom you and your mate spend time. I’m not saying you have to dump all your friends, but if you’ve been hanging with partners who tear each other down rather than build each other up, it’s time to re-evaluate your social circle. Toxic couples out, partners who like each other – and show it – in!
- Make at least two nights a week “techno-free,” where for a couple of hours, you and your mate unplug yourselves from the iphone, ipod, ipad, laptop, tv, etc. and spend time doing something together.
- Commit to having a “mini-moon” once a quarter. This means every 3 months, you and your mate get away for 1 or 2 nights. You need to get out of your daily environment once in awhile.
- Go to bed together at the same time at least 3 nights per week. Getting under the covers together at least 3 nights a week increases emotional intimacy.
- Have a professional in the wings for when you have a problem that’s bigger than the both of you can handle. Interview and hire a professional when you are getting along, so that when a problem occurs, that person is already in place.
For more great ideas on how to improve your marriage or relationship in the new year, click here.