This issue of Coach Kathy’s Clips features an appearance I made on Channel 3’s morning show, Live on Lakeside about five ways to celebrate your partner.
I had the pleasure of appearing on Channel 3’s morning show, Live on Lakeside, last week. The topic: Five Ways to Celebrate Your Mate. One of the things I work on with couples is exercising their relationship’s “celebratory muscle.” There are 5 ways to do this and here they are:
- Celebrate your mate taking care of himself of herself. The best way to keep your marriage or relationship strong is to keep yourself strong – physically, emotionally, mentally, and spiritually. When your mate tells you something he/she feels good about doing to keep himself/herself strong, give him or her a “high five!” Refrain from telling your mate whatever you think wasn’t accomplished. Focus on the fact your partner did something!
- Celebrate your mate’s talent(s). Whether your partner, is strong in sports, the arts, music, or another area, watch for opportunities to brag about him or her. We all have insecurities about even our talents. We need to be our mate’s biggest cheerleader.
- Celebrate your partner’s accomplishments. Sometimes in life, your mate has worked extra hard on a project or a goal. Once he or she has finished the project or reached his or her goal, find a way to show you recognize the effort and energy put into it all.
- Celebrate your mate making it through a health challenge. It’s the rare long-term relationship where one or the other person hasn’t faced a health challenge. Sometimes it’s a long road to recovery. When your partner has made it through to the other side, do something special to acknowledge the joy you both feel for your mate’s work and renewed well-being.
- Celebrate your partner’s hobby. It may sound unusual to celebrate your mate’s hobby, but you want to encourage your him or her to have interests outside of your relationship. It makes your partner a more interesting person, thereby making your relationship more interesting. Show up at your mate’s art shows, concerts, sporting events and be his or her fan!
Click the image below to watch the video.